Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Frederick Douglass's Children
Annie Douglass
 
Annie Douglass – Frederick and Anna Douglass’s fifth child – was born March 22, 1849, in Rochester, New York.  We know little about her childhood other than the following.
 
Anna and her family enjoyed playing "pitching quoits" in Highland Park.  Quoits was a game in which rings of rope or flattened metal are thrown at an upright peg. The object was to encircle the peg or come as close to it as possible.
 
From what little I have been able to read, Annie, described as “a bright and impish child” (O’Keefe 1), seems to have been the sort of little girl that captures easily strangers’ hearts.  “From 1857 to 1859, Annie attended School 13, which her father’s secretary called the German public school because of the many German immigrants in southeast Rochester.  Annie wrote, the “German children like me very much but I have gone a head [sic] of them and they have been there much longer than me too” (O’Keefe 1).
 
John Brown, the fierce white abolitionist who in November 1859 would lead an armed attack on the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry and would be hung for it, loved the child.  And, she loved him.  During Brown’s three-week stay at the Douglass home in 1858, she would often sit on his knee while he and her father conversed.
 
Brown had come to Douglass to enlist his help in persuading blacks to join his cause. (Brown had similarly solicited Harriet Tubman’s help and been rejected)  Douglass had favored the cause but not Brown’s plan, which he considered suicidal.  “The United States Armory was a huge complex of buildings that manufactured small arms for the U.S. Army (1801–1861), with an Arsenal (storehouse) that was thought to contain 100,000 muskets and rifles at the time” (Muller 1).  “The plan was ‘an attack on the federal government’ that ‘would array the whole country against us ... You will never get out alive,’ he [Douglass] warned” (John 1). 
 
Brown's confiscated papers mentioned the name of Douglass, and a request for his arrest was issued. This led Douglass to take an immediate unplanned voyage to Europe, where he met up with Ottilie Assing, and, on the lecture circuit he acclaimed, from afar, the martyrdom of John Brown (Timeline 4).
 
Annie became ill in December, soon after her father’s departure.  She would die March 13, 1860, less than two weeks’ short of her eleventh birthday.  “Before her death, she had lost the power to speak or hear” (O’Keefe 2). 
 
An obituary notice, printed perhaps by the local Rochester newspaper, declared the following:
 
Died at Rochester on Tuesday, March 13, Annie, the youngest daughter of Frederick and Anna Douglass, aged 10 years, 11 months, and 21 days, after an illness of nearly three months.
 
Nothing just at this time could have pained us more than this sad bereavement of this esteemed friend, and earnest, and able co-laborer.  Words cannot express how deeply we condole with him and his stricken family.  Annie, the youngest of the circle, a child of great promise was, we are told, the idol of the mother, the pride of the father, and the love of the brothers and sisters.  Thoughtful beyond her years, she seems to have taken into her mind something of the agitation of the times attendant upon the Harper’s Ferry emeute, and the supposed connection of her father therewith, and the consequent harm that would come to him because of it.  Her mind, we are told, haunted with this idea, entered in a cloud of grief, and she drooped, and faded, and died.  It is perhaps mete that this child of the friends of the martyrs of Harper’s Ferry, should thus die at this time as the crowning sacrifice to the Moloch of American slavery.  When that little grave is covered, and the sod grown, then let the little white stone be raised over it with this ephitaph [sic] inscribed thereon: “Here lies the remains of one of the first young spring flowers of liberty, nipped by the untimely frost of American wrong and injustice” (Annie 1).
 
Denied a burial place at Mt. Hope Cemetery, Annie was buried in Samuel Porter’s family burial plot.  She was reburied at Mt. Hope after her father brought pressure upon the cemetery officials.
 
Frederick Douglass had been in Glasgow, Scotland, when he received the news of his daughter’s death. 
 
Anna, along with her children, was desolate; Annie, a charming scamp, happier about the house than her tense older sister, Rosetta, was gone.  Annie, her namesake, the last child of her troubled marriage, was dead.  And she was unable to articulate her despair.
 
Rosetta read to her mother a letter of condolence from Harriet and then sat down to reply.  “My darling sister is now an angel,” she wrote and added, “I have just asked mother what I should say for her.  She sends her love to you and thanks you as heartily as myself for your sympathizing letter, and she as she is unable to write will allow my letter to be in answer for both.  … She is not very well now being quite feeble though about the house.”  And then Anna called out that Harriet should – “if you desire,” as Rosetta politely put it—write to her brother and tell him to come home.  [The biographer William S. McFeely assumed that the “Harriet Bailey” that had lived with the Douglasses in Lynn, Massachusetts, was Frederick’s sister.  Subsequent research has revealed that the woman was “actually the fugitive slave named Ruth Cox, living under that assumed name” (Fought footnote 390]
 
Word of Annie’s death reached her father just after he had received an affectionate, cheerful letter from his son Charles, and as he was indulging himself in the satisfying business of visiting congenial Scottish friends.  Annie herself had written in December, telling proudly of her good work at school.  Douglass’ anguish was intense, not the less so, no doubt, for being mixed with remorse and anger that he had not been on hand when the illness struck—he, the self-made man who could accomplish everything, could surely have prevented this tragedy.  But he had not been there.  “We heard from dear father last week,” Rosetta told Harriet, “and his grief was great.  I trust the next letter [neither that one nor the first one survives] will evince more composure of mind.”  Rosetta, for her part, claimed to take some comfort in the thought that Annie “has gone to Him whose love is the same for the black as the white” (McFeely 207).
 
Two New Orleans’ based “2005 Students of the Center,” Dakota Edmonds and Marlon Cross, wrote this imaginary letter composed by Frederick Douglass addressed to Annie while he was crossing the Atlantic headed homeward
 
Dearest Annie, My Youngest Child:
 
I can remember the first time you grasped my index finger. Fresh from the womb, your small voice cried loud as I held you in my arms. Annie, you were as beautiful as roses & daisies in a spring garden. Your voice spoke to me quietly in a language that I didn't understand. Inside my heart I knew you wouldn't have to slave for freedom as much as I did. My youngest love, my youngest life, you remind me of the ocean.
 
As I write you this letter, the waves rock this ship like your cradle rocked you when I was too busy with your four older siblings. I sit on deck and watch the waves. I think of your ways, soft and calm, at times, rough and fast, but always a wonderful sight to see. Just last month when you were drawing a picture of your baby doll, I disturbed you, asking you to pick up your shoes. The tone of your voice was sweet even when you didn't want to be bothered. Why, I would have done anything for you. I learned that from my own mother. She went through a 24-mile walk after work just to come see her son, your father. She worked in the fields on another plantation, while the other children and I stayed 12 miles away. She cared for me just as much as I care for you. I think of her long journey as I cross the Atlantic Ocean once again, placing my life in danger, weeping that your earthly life has ended.
 
How my heart wishes to walk into my residence to see the face of my Annie, those eyes like your mother's that sparkle in the moonlight, those pretty white teeth that shine in the dark, and that graceful smile that to which no other can ever compare. I know that inside my heart everything happens for a reason. I am so sorry that I could not have been in your presence to adore you with my love, to kiss your cheek, as your soul passed to the next life.
 
You must understand why I was away the day you died, only eight years old. You won't know the name John Brown or the meaning of the words abolition and justice. But these are some of the reasons I was away. John Brown's skin was white but his soul was pure. His heart was set on one goal—abolishing slavery. He too is now dead. Our country wants me to join him. I knew of his plot to attack Harper's Ferry, take over the weapons there, and wage war against slaveholders. I told no one about this plot. For that this country, which declares itself a defender of the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness, accuses me of treason. I do not regret my silence about Brown's plot. I only regret its failure, his death, and most of all my absence as you took your last breath.
 
So now I journey again. The water, the source of life, gives me little comfort. I return to your four siblings and dear mother. I return to a country stuck in greed and evil. I also return with the hope of freedom for all. I pledge my life to remain in this country, to die fighting for freedom for all people rather than to escape to another country. Your untimely departure tells me where I must remain. It reinforces my determination, my conviction that I will never be free until all my people are free. Thank you for this gift you give me on your leaving. Forgive my absence at your departure.
 
All Love Always,
 
Your Father, Frederick A. Douglass (Edmonds and Cross 1)
 
 
           
Works Cited:
 
“Annie Douglass.”  Find a Grave.  Web. <https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7407734/annie-douglass>.
 
Edmonds, Dakota and Cross, Marlon. “Frederick Douglass Writes a Farewell Letter to His Daughter.”  New Orleans Unmasked. 2005 Students of the Center.  Web.  <https://cat.xula.edu/unmasked/articles/421/>.
 
 
“John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry.” Wikipedea.  Web.  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown's_raid_on_Harpers_Ferry>.
 
 
Muller, John. “Death knocked on the door of the Frederick Douglass family too often, Douglass outlives his wife, two children, and numerous grand-children.”  Frederick … Anacostia.  Web.  <https://thelionofanacostia.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/death-knocked-on-the-door-of-the-frederick-douglass-family-too-often-douglass-outlives-his-wife-two-children-and-numerous-grand-children/>.
 
O’Keefe, Rosie.  Frederick & Anna Douglass in Rochester, New York: Their Home Was Open to All.  Charleston, South Carolina, The History Press, 2013.  Google.  Web.  <https://books.google.com/books?id=jjaACQAAQBAJ&pg=PT58&lpg=PT58&dq=Annie+Douglass&source=bl&ots=fCtVjVvTTe&sig=YZl886HkBbRyxNp0v_EAcItfAXU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMvZWXk6LbAhUYIjQIHS4wCpY4HhDoAQhIMAc#v=onepage&q=Annie%20Douglass&f=false>.
 
“Timeline of Frederick Douglass and Family.”  African American History of Western New York.  Web.  <http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/0history/hwny-douglass-family.html>.


No comments:

Post a Comment